Remote Desktop "Bypass RD gateway server for local addresses" no longer working in Windows 8

Hi,

After installing windows 8, it seems like the "Bypass RD gateway server for local addresses" is no longer working.

In Windows 7, when the option is checked, I could have the server name set always and the client will automatically detect whether to use the RD gateway or not. For example, from my house, if I am connecting to a computer at my work, which requires the RD gateway, it will automatically pops up the dialog for authentication method. However, if I connect to a computer in my home network, it will just automatically connects without asking authentication for the RD gateway.

However, after installing windows 8, this does not seem to work as expected anymore. The option is checked but the Windows Security dialog pops up in both situations and so i have to either save the rdp file locally and pin it to the taskbar or switch between disabling and enabling the RD gateway whenever I need to connect to different machines.

Is this a regression in Windows 8? Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Thanks

October 30th, 2012 5:32am

Try http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/threads

This forum is for a graphics library.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2012 7:00am

Hi Khronosx,

Since your question is more related to RDS. I would like to move your thread to Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

October 31st, 2012 8:52am

Have the exact same problem as you Khronosx. I wonder if there is a solution.
October 31st, 2012 2:58pm

Even I am seeing the same behavior, any solutions?
April 24th, 2013 7:26am

same problem here
June 14th, 2013 3:09am

An update broke this in Windows 7, too.

If you do a packet trace, you can see that the RD client never even attempts to connect to the local host when you have an RD Gateway configured.  It's basically ignoring the "bypass" setting.

July 27th, 2013 5:47am

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this? Got the same prob on Win 7 x64 too.

August 14th, 2013 5:26am

Same here on Windows 8 x64

October 11th, 2013 11:37pm

Same problem here, but only when people are connect on a special subnet for WiFi.

When on the standard wired subnets, where no ACL's are applied, we don't have the problem.

And if I rollback to the problematic subnet after reaching the RDS on a "functionnal" subnet, it's also OK.

It looks like the network "profile" or something like that plays a role; the network keep the name of our domain after Rolling back to the "wifi" subnet. If i boot the machine directly on the wifi subnet, it's called "nework 4".

Please MS give us an answer, I spent three days analysing IP frames, it's a real headache.

January 16th, 2014 9:12am

Hi,

Can you please try adding host entries.

(C:\windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts)

Regards,
Manjunath Sullad

January 16th, 2014 9:28am

No, name resolution isn't the problem, already checked.

I can confirm that network profile is the key of the problem:

if you set the registriy value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ NetworkList \ Profiles \ [PROFILE] \ Managed to 1 then it works, mstsc will check for the RD Server before trying the GW. If it is set to 0 then it will not try to connect to the server, even before prompting for credentials.

But it's not an answer for my users!

I need for the connection to works also with "unmanaged" networks.

January 16th, 2014 9:34am

Another way to resolve this issue for me, beside of configuring RDP to connect directly to server also on unmanaged network, will be to turn the "wifi" subnet in a managed network, as the "wired" subnet is.

The differences between thoses to subnets, dynamically assigned by the same DHCP server, are:

• The "wifi" is in a private IP range, the "wired" is in a public IP range
  • There's an ACL on the "wifi" subnet, not on the "wired"

The next step is to compare frames send/received when on the two networks. Something will likely tell for the network to be managed.

Beside, I'm still searching informations about NLA, which is responsible for setting a nework as managed or not.

Here are some clues:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/49ea0a6b-9c03-407d-8e26-24a92849a282/network-location-awareness-signature?forum=w7itpronetworking

If anybody has official MS informations about NLA (A for Awareness and not Authentication), please share!

January 17th, 2014 4:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics